Sunday, December 10, 2006

Local Blogs help save Western Grebe

Hey, you can helpful learn stuff from these blogs! I was at work this Sunday to work a 16 hour shift from 7am to 11pm and we had water all over the Chip Handling area at Evergreen Pulp, because of the heavy rains. During the storm a Western Grebe must have gotten disoriented and made a home out of one small pool that had formed from a clogged drain. The problem was that the pool was actually part of the road normally, and trucks were having to dodge the bird or run it over. I went out and used a long pipe pole to unclog the drain and that upset the bird. It was obviously distressed. I tried to nudge the bird with the pole to get it to take off and vacate the pool, but it was not going to budge. The water eventually drained from the ditch, but the bird was not going to leave on it’s own. Then I remembered reading a post on House of Sand and Fog. House of Sand and Fog: another injured bird Jennifer Savage had rescued a bird and mentioned the Humboldt Wildlife Care Center. HWCC: Humboldt Wildlife Care Center (HWCC). I called their Hotline 822-8839. I was surprised to have a person call me back within the hour on a Sunday, and two young ladies came out and retrieved the bird. One of the rescuers explained how the Grebe may have been put in situation where it was in water that was to shallow to take off. A Grebe has trouble with takeoff on land I was informed. So I am sure that the Grebe would like to say “thanks” to Jennifer and the HWCC.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jennifer,
Richard is right. Thank you for saving me from a fate worse than death.(living in a drain in the road)
Sincerley,
The Grebe

Anonymous said...

Richard, what is with you, large pools of water, and death???

samoasoftball said...

Whoa. Almost death. The Grebe and I are still breathing last I checked. So what is it with me, large pools of water and life! And it is kind of hard to aviod pools of water here in Humboldt County this time of year!

Anonymous said...

Isn't water a large part of Santerian death rituals? You may need to consult barbara shults on this one richard!

Anonymous said...

How,
did the Grebe learn to use
a computer,

Anonymous said...

Rich!!!!!!You are awesome for putting forth the effort to make a phonecall which led to the rescue of one tiny life.If we all did that just once in awhile........well one can dream.
Mary

Anonymous said...

Admit it Richard, for a minute there you thought about taking the bird home to eat it...

samoasoftball said...

9:42pm-This Grebe was fiesty and was distraught. I had no intentions on eating it, but I was worried that it would be attacked by either one of the cats there at the pulp mill, or one of the many raccoons that roam our perimeter. We also have possums and one white lab that has made the pulp mill home for 4 years. Someone must have beat it, it won't let humans near, but it hangs out in my department. It is getting old, I do not know if it will survive this winter. If we could catch it, we do have people willing to take it home.

Anonymous said...

酒店喝酒

酒店消費

喝花酒

粉味

台北市酒店經紀



台北市酒店經紀人

台北酒店經紀公司

禮服店

台北市酒店經紀公司

禮服酒店

酒店兼職

酒店經紀人

酒店經紀公司


酒店經紀

酒店兼差

台北酒店經紀

台北酒店經紀人

酒店打工

寒假打工