Friday, November 21, 2008

Most overplayed songs at West Coast bars!

I have been to more than a few bars in places like Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Hawaii, Arizona and California while I worked as a union organizer. Bars are usually a neutral place for some who were scared of the process. And it seems there is a usual 25 or so song’s that are played to death. Here are the 10 songs I could really do without hearing one more time at a bar:

10. “Crazy on you!” Heart. But strangely, I love it on the radio.

9. “Bad to the bone!” George Thorogood & The Destroyers. Yeah, leave that one alone!

8. “Radar love.” Golden Earring. Brenda Lee came on strong how many years ago? Give it a rest!

7. “Welcome to the Jungle!” Guns and Roses. No! Not for the 10th time tonight!

6. “Abracadabra” The Steve Miller Band. Or the “Joker” or “Big ol’ Jet Airliner.”

5. ”Joy to the World.” Three Dog Night. Joy to the fishes and you and me?

4. “Jack and Diane” John Cougar. How about no little ditty about them!

3. “Cecelia.” Paul Simon. Who in their right mind would ever pick this song on the Jukebox? And yet there it plays again!

2. "Old Time Rock and Roll!” Bob Seger. And someone will play this multiple times in an hour loop! Please, no more!

1. “Highway to Hell!” AC/DC. C’mon. I am in a bar. Don’t need to be reminded!

Really, there should be some filter on the Jukebox that will not allow a song to be played over 3 times in a night. That would help a lot. Later I will name my top ten favorite songs to hear in a bar.

15 comments:

Tapperass said...

Hate to Nit Pick, bit that would be Crazy on you by Heart.

-boy

Anonymous said...

Amazing, those are for the most part the same songs you hear night after night sung (mostly bad) at karaoke too.

Anonymous said...

Pour some sugar, Def Leppard

Anonymous said...

The Clam Beach Inn had the "Rodeo Song" that was a must play.

Hank Sims said...

This gets my vote for greatest post of 2008.

But what about that one, um...

"Hey little hmmmm let me light your candle 'cause mamma I'm sure hot to handle! Well, na na na..."

It makes me suicidal.

samoasoftball said...

Boy: I stand corrected. Guess I haven't listened to it enough.

samoasoftball said...

Hank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Esb1SFgd-0 They did not make my top 10, but yes. They are HARD TO HANDLE!

Anonymous said...

All this time I thought it was called "Lazy On You".

Tapperass said...

The one time I did a Karaoke song all by myself was up at Blue Lake a few years back.

Pictures of Lily by The Who

I may have been lousy, but the audience ate it up!

-boy

Anonymous said...

You guys have never heard my karoke rendition of Minnie Riperton's "Loving You."

Anonymous said...

Whew, and I thought< I love this Bar, by Travis Tritt (?) was the one most heard. I still like it, depending on the bar.

Anonymous said...

Pretty Woman. Bad Moon Risin'. And what about those songs with numbers, no titles? Every bar seems to have at least one.

Anonymous said...

Anon 8:35
That would bbe Toby Kieth

Tapperass said...

You guys have never heard my karoke rendition of Minnie Riperton's "Loving You."

I bet you hit those high notes too!

funny stuff

-boy

Joel Mielke said...

What about "buh-buh-buh-Baaaaby, you ain't seen nothin' yet" and, perhaps worse, "Takin' care, of business, every day, takin' care of business..."

Two awful songs by the same band.

The reason we have to hear this crap over and over is that the baby-boomers think that their music was the best ever. They can't hear enough of the music of their youth.

The gooey-sweet, "Humingbird don't fly away-flay away."

The groovin' "Ventura highway in the suuuuuh-uh-uhn"

"Riders on the storm..." Oh, so profound!

"Theres a lady who's sure, all that glitters is gold, and shes buying a stairway to heaven" Embarrassing stuff, but impossible to escape.

This is the meat-headed generation that was suspicious of Richard Nixon, but came to embrace the facile politics of Ronald Reagan. "It's morning in America." Yes, we're the best.