Saturday, March 07, 2009

St. Bernard's win Basketball NCS Div. 6. Stephen Papstein favorite ref punching bag?

It was a packed house that witnessed St. Bernard's bombardment of the Pacific Union College Prep, 84-54. Nick Dalby had nearly 30 points by my count. Andrew Ayres was fantastic, and the Crusaders played great team defense to control PU's 6'8" Tyler Thesman or at least make him a non-factor. He did probably end up with 30 points and 20 rebounds, but many came when it did not matter.

If I was Crusader 6'8" Center Stephen Papstein, I would start really wondering what is going on with all the cheap foul calls. The Junior (Young enough to be a sophomore I have heard) seems to be at the wrong place at the wrong time and since he is the tallest in the crowd, the whistle follows him. All 5 of his fouls could have been no calls. I have seem him in a few games this year and have witnessed this in those too. (I played with and against Stephen's father Brian who is around 6'11" and the host of KINS 980 shoptalk.)

Congratulations are in order for the Crusader's, but they should also give thanks to the Ferndale Wildcat's who woke them up a few days earlier by nearly knocking them off. The didn't overlook PU, that is for sure. Oh, and for the record, I think Ferndale would have won the NCS if they could have just had that 3.9 seconds back.......

No comments: