Tuesday, March 31, 2009

César Chávez day.

Today is César Estrada Chávez birthday (March 31, 1927 – April 23, 1993) was a Mexican American farm worker, labor leader, and civil rights activist who, with Dolores Huerta founded the United Farm Workers. Did much for organized labor.

I was on a organizing drive in 2004 in Corona, California and had a chance to coordinate a group of volunteers from the Dolores Huerta Foundation. One of those volunteers was Camelia Chávez, César's niece. She was outgoing and just a great personality. She was the Director of the Dolores Huerta Foundation at the time. She was certainly a special person. (Oh yes, and a beautiful woman)

I can't even imagine what her uncle was like in person. I am sure he was dynamic.

2 comments:

Babushka said...

I had the day off (Hail Cesar!) and went to have an eye exam. Three of the four young people working in the office had no idea who Cesar Chavez was. Sad.

samoasoftball said...

Babushka: I find it ironic that a Republican friend of mine who is NOT union was given a paid day off for this day. And 75% of your office did not know the man. Kind of weird. Warped even.

I was doing a mailing stuffing with the Humboldt County Democratic Central Committee and I commented to everyone about working with Camelia Chavez and Bette Boyd gave a story of not only knowing Chavez, but actually working with Him and Delores Huarte organizing workers in the Valley. And another lady stuffing also had met with Chavez in Riverside, so I was one upped big time and learned soem about my fellow Democratic committee members!