One of the most intriguing records that Barry Bonds accomplished is hitting 31 out of the first 42 balls hit out of AT&T/Chase field in McCovey Cove for splash hits. In about 1350 at bats he has hit more than all the other TEAMS in Baseball. That means that there have been tens of thousands of players at bats and no player is anywhere close to his record and never will. Opinion of the day.
Over the years my taste-buds must do some resetting. Here is the top 5 places to enjoy a good chicken fried steak and eggs.
1. Oberon Grill: Not even close. They pound a New York into submission and it is very tender and tasty. Maybe a little bit pricey but well worth it. Only available on Saturdays and Sundays.
2. The Green Lily Cafe: Very consistent and available all week. The picture above is from their establishment. The setting is kind of weird. Can't put my finger on it. But the food and service is good.
3. The Golden Harvest Cafe: Portion not that great. Used to be my go to but has seemed to slide lately. Too inconsistent for my dollar.
4. The Chalet: Is it open? Do we have to go to the one on 5th? Will they forget us after they take our order? Just not worth it anymore. More than once I have driven to the location in Cutten and it was closed due to worker issues or lack of worker issues. The chicken fried steak and other food is good but not worth the hassle.
5. Kristina's: If the chicken fried steak is so good, why do I always order something else? Hmmm. I eat more meals here than most.
Others to consider Cafe Nooner in Henderson Center, Adels and Amy's Delight (Chicken Fried Pork Steak) and Village Pantry Don't give me that Toni's argument. They are in Arcata and their chicken fried steaks have been bad last few times I went.
The Humboldt Bay Harbor District approved a dredging contract with The Dutra Group to dredge Fields Landing and Woodley Island Marina with a clam shell dredge and take the spoils out to the hoods three miles offshore and dumped . The nearly $700,000 project is funded by Woodley Island resident dredging surcharge assessments. It has been over 10 years since any dredging at the Marina. Before I was even elected! This is just a start of course. Not the total solution. The Harbor District also moved forward with Request for Proposal for a new Public Dock at Marine Terminal 1. This is to land or make room for wind energy projects building platforms for 30 miles out. Lots of logistic issues.
The Legends 58 and over seniors finished the 2019 season with a 4 run 6th inning rally to squeak by the Moments 4-0 and finish the 2019 season with a 20-4 record. We lost 2 extra inning games and had to come from behind numerous games. So it was a very competitive season. From left to right is Randall Floyd, David Wainwright, Patrick Vaughn, Zeke Branca, Brenda Blair-King, The Softball King, Stuart Rosenberg, Robert Ruehl, Steve Nies, Tony Hernandez, George Williamson, Jonathan and Tom Marking. Jamie Robertson was also on the team but suffered a season ending rib injury. All games were played at a renovated Samoa Field donated by Dan Johnson to the league. Lots of elbow grease by the HCSSA participants. I hope 2020 is even better!
Each year I have had the pleasure to umpire this event. Eureka had a really strong team this year. Mike Salmon and Mike Barber also umped and we had no controversy. There were lots of people at the park and BBQ!