Friday, March 13, 2009

First day of Spring Training vacation a freaking disaster!

Robin and I were headed for Spring Training in Arizona. We have went the last few years and had a good time watching mainly the Giants and A's. We made it just north of Laytonville when Robin's PT Cruiser just up and quit. We were in an area that only had one bar for our cell phone, but luckily I was able to contact AAA and we had our car towed to Ukiah, the only place where we could find a quality service place and car rental. We were under the gun to make it before the car dealership was closing it's service department at 5:30pm Friday. I called the Enterprise car rental place attached to the dealership and they were out of cars! When we arrived there, the estimate for repair was $1,400 and they do not work weekends! They wouldn't have it fixed into the middle of next week! I waited in line at Enterprise hopeing someone would show up with a turn in. Somebody brought back a 12 seat van and it was over $100 a day, but Robin and I were planning to be in Sacramento so I was considering. Thank goodness someone came in with a mid size car at the last minute so we are on our way. This vacation now has a $2,000 price tag just for unexpected car follies. We were bound and determined not to let our financial shortfall affect our vacation, but we have taken many hits these last few months. The sad thing is, we are doing better than most, so I should not bitch. I will try to help carry our economy on. Driving a Mitsubishi Galant. Ironic, huh?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully things will be better and better.


Car Rental Singapore

Anonymous said...

That's why, for trips out of town, I just rent a blasted car. Buy all the insurance and try to relax. Doesn't alwasys work, but boy do I feel your pain. I took two of my boys to a SF Giants game years ago, I am thinking Candlestick days, and the car overheated on Van Ness Ave. SF. Sure they would work on it,but I had to be back in town the next day, so, yup, we rented a car and drove home. Some say it's only money, but glad to see you made it "safe and sound" home.
MJ
PS. I read you everyday.

Anonymous said...

Road trip.... Friday the 13th.... car problems.... Go figure

Anonymous said...

Hey Rich , to bad you did'nt have the option to take the train. Hope you had a good time anyway,Steve

Anonymous said...

The destination is worth it! Yesterday a friend called me from the stands (just before game time) of the Angels/Cubs game reporting the temperature was 76 degrees.

Good luck and have a good time - ERE

Anonymous said...

One of the reasons I am glad to live up here. To go to games in Seattle I ride Amtrak, train stop is right at the front gate of the stadium. Also you dont usually get stranded in a place like podunk Laytonville. even the little towns around are close and very few dead cell areas

Anonymous said...

Plymouth Neon. Need I say more?

Car Rental In Singapore said...

Road Trip on Friday the 13th? Augh. :) Sorry to hear about it though.