Monday, May 14, 2007

Humboldt State Women's coach Jodie Gleason! Opps! I am sorry!

How Embarrassing! I am such a Dork! Apology to Jodie Gleason.

I went to scout the Eureka Men’s Open Basketball League Championship Tournament tonight. My Samoa Athletic Team was given the #1 seed out of 11 teams in the Tournament. We are scheduled to play the winners of Briton Mortgage and the 76’ers. I watched each of the teams and saw Larry Debeni on the bench of the 76ers so I went over to talk to him. Larry has played for me off and on for over 15 years. Fred Griffith was also on the 76ers team. He cut me from the Zane 9th Grade Team in 1971? Wow, can I hold a grudge or what?

I seen a person I thought was Kathy from Arcata in the stands and walked up next to her and asked her about the players on the floor. She pointed out the elder players such as Fred Griffith and Steve Kinder (HSU men's assist coach) and her husband Skip Gleason (CR men's coach) on the floor. It took me a while, but I noticed I had mistaken this person for someone else. Of course Jodie had no idea who I was and probably thought I was some weird recreation basketball Dork. I should have recognized her and Skip and I don’t know what to say. Jodie was a trooper and very approachable. Sorry I may have confused her.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I seen a person I thought was Kathy from Arcata..."

Richard, I SAW a person....

The use of the word "seen" instead of "saw" is a very common Eureka native colloquial term. I have heard it used countless times. I know I'm being picky, but it's like using the word "ain't". Don't worry, many local realtors
say the word "immaculent" unstead of immaculate when describing realty. Or, is it "reality"

God, what a thing for me to comment about. Good luck with your softball team this year!

Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter what grammar people use as long as they are understandable. There really is no such thing as proper or improper grammar in any absolute sense. Grammar is just an artificial convention.

samoasoftball said...

"You can take the millworker out of the mill, but you can't take mill out of the millworker." English teacher I ain't.

Anonymous said...

Don't you give it no never mind Richard. We all think you is grate.

Anonymous said...

Write onn!

Anonymous said...

...and I think you meant Oops! Still, I enjoyed your post - especially your memories of being cut from a sports team in Jr. High. It's is one of those things that can stick with a person for a LONG time...and clearly has. I always hope coaches who have that power understand the impact their decisions have.

samoasoftball said...

10:22pm- I tried out for many sports teams in JR High and High School. Wrestling, Track, Basketball, Baseball and Football. I was under 100 pounds until I was 18 years old, so I was the runt on teams. I hate cuts. I think everyone who wants to play sports should have the chance. I gladly sat the bench in football just to be a part of the "team."

Anonymous said...

I agree. My kids really benefited from being involved in sports. The kids who didn't make the early teams but got better later were "out". Cuts is bad for later developers. They tell kids to "get active" and "get busy" and then they cut them. So few of these kids will ever be professional. These parents of young hotshots think their kid will be the exception and they need to push. Try to remember to make it fun and that even if your kid ends up playing for a college team that is great but that's the end of it all. So enjoy and have fun! and schools should open up more sports to more players- A, B, C teams- even when they have the money they don't recognize this!

samoasoftball said...

10:42-I agree. Let them play! All of them! A-B-C-D whatever it takes.