Here is the nice green field at the Samoa Peninsula Field. Miller Farms has re-done the outfield grass and it has stayed green this time! Inside Sports players have been using the field for Fustal practice all winter. Hopefully the Senior Softball League will approach Dr. Wolford about using this field again for the over 60 League.
I have had a chance to watch quite a bit of Basketball this year because of my employment status. I can safely make a few observations starting with Seventh grade players. Hands down, the best player is Nate Ambrosini from Fortuna Town School. This group of players has only lost one game the last three years. And that was to Toddy Thomas. And Toddy Thomas has only lost to one team the last three years. You guessed it, Fortuna! Three years from now, watch out High School teams.
Pacific Union has, by far, the best team in the north state in Eighth grade. Parker Farris could be the next Greg Allen locally.
Mckinleyville High seems to have the best Freshman and JV teams. Although I have only caught three Freshmen games. One message I have for Frosh and JV coaches: Play all your bench fellas! I watched one game where a team was down by over 30 points in the 4th quarter and 3 kids had not left the bench! Shame on you! It is for the kids, not your egos!
Arcata High has the best team this year, but the competition is really good. It will definitely be physical. I am making this prediction though; Some lame brain Ref is going to determine the outcome of this years league title. I sure hope I am wrong, but I have seen some really shoddy reffing this year. And yes, I have reffed, so I can be critical.
Here are my top players so far in the HDL:
1. Greg Allen (Eureka High)-Great court vision, good 3-Pt shooter and best inside moves in the league.
2. Tim Couch (Arcata High)-Best all around player. Blocked Shots, Steals, Passing, Rebound, Penetrate, Shoot and most of all, hustle. Best player to go into battle with.
3. Skylar Rice (Fortuna High)-We all know he is going to shoot the ball. Why can't anyone stop him?
4. Andrew Ayres (St. Bernards)-Does the best with what he has. And he led a huge upset of Eureka that seems to have awakened the Loggers.
5. Chris Pender (Mckinleyville)-But he better watch out, I may replace him with Jon Stull.
Moving on up: The Hutt Brothers, Jordan Semple, Hoffman, Levi Jones and Sousa.
Humboldt County owed $160,000, the most of any rural Northcoast county in PILT payments - Senator Mike McGuire’s bill that will again require the State to make Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILT) payments to counties received unanimous bipartisan ...
2 hours ago