Saturday, January 31, 2009

CR Baseball. 2009 version. And a 70's version.

The College of the Redwoods Baseball team is off and playing already. Today they played Mendocino at CR and the weather was great! It looks like the team will be really competitive this year. At least hitting wise. Todd Zeigler seemed to have the boys playing hard. He was pretty patient considering some of the calls that went against CR. (I thought the home team was supposed to get the calls?)

Above is outfielder Kelly Miller in an at bat that produced a Double. He also walked, singled, stole a base and scored twice while I was there. Spenser Duggan and Tommy Wood looked good with the bats, as did Justin Yslias. Oh yeah, Dylan Freierabrand had a couple of good hits also.


A good crowd enjoyed a great game that CR tied in the bottom of the 8th at 8-8. Ryan Stearns came on in the top of the 9th and got 2 outs and hit a batter. He induced a ground ball that an error was made on, and Mendo scored 3 unearned runs and CR lost. Ryan throws hard and kind of reminds me of Cody Flynn from a few years earlier, but he needs some movement. He would be better off throwing hard sliders, to set up hitters. Lefty Matt Burwell pitched well in relief the first game, and Zach O'Hanen threw fair in the second game.





This team will only go as far as Kirk Thurston can carry them. Kirk (At left) hit the ball on the nose each at bat, and may have a monster year. I hope he gets some looks from some scouts. I realize he is 24 years old, but he has talent to excel.


Just for kicks, the starting lineup for the CR team that I was on that tied for the GVC Championship in the 70's: Keith Ambrosini CF, Rob Wilkinson SS, David Stone 3B, Mark Suchanek C, Ron Spini LF, Tim Earhart 1st, Dave Reynolds 2nd, Troy Freeman RF. Mike Robinson played RF also. Our starting pitchers were Stacey Morgan, Jerry Johnson, Steve Ross and Byron Busick. Mike Spini and I were in the bullpen. This was a great group of guys and a solid baseball team with 4 players going on to play professionally. Morgan made it to the show for a cup of coffee. 6 played for the Crabs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe what I am reading. When I was a 13 year old in Babe Ruth, I played for the Northern Humboldt All-Stars with Byron Busic and Mark Suchanek and played against some of the other guys mentioned. Kieth Ambrosini, for one, Ron Spini and David Stone, I believe.

I wonder if you an I played against each other. I played at Hoopa High in '75 and '76.

Also, you've been tagged go to the 299Opine for more information.

samoasoftball said...

Eko: I didn't play High School baseball. I worked at Duck's Market and Bazar while going to Eureka High. I wish I would have had the time to play sports in High School, but I was chasing the dollar.

I played JV ball at SB in 73'and Babe Ruth and Diamaggio ball. When Bazar closed, I went to CR and was on the 79' team. I was 21 years old. And married.