I have had people tell me that Robin and I are a Humboldt County power couple. I laugh and tell them we are house renters from Samoa. We both believe in volunteering for the community and raised our kids to do the same. Robin and I are on the HCDCC , the board for Humboldt Domestic Violence Services, I am on the board of Directors for the Samoa Peninsula Fire District, Robin is on the board for the NHUHSD Northern Humboldt and I am the President of AWPPW local 49. You would think that is crazy busy, but when we both ran the Peninsula sports programs and the Adult Fall Ball Basketball league, SAC Adult Softball Tournaments and raised kids for over 20 years, this is down time.
This area seems to have lots of people multi tasking, and many couples that are like minded that are high profile politically. Here are some of the people I see as high profile/Like minded, "power couples."
1. Robin and Cheri Arkley- Most well known Republican couple that has donated untold millions to many Humboldt projects.
2. Dave Meserve and Betsy Roberts- Anti war advocates who have been involved heavily in local politics for many years.
3. Dave Cobb and Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap- Progressive Green Party members. Democracy Unlimited of Humboldt County Great community organizers. More power than the most want to admit.
4. David and Penny Elsebusch- This couple will fight to the finish either parties cause they feel is right. They are not blinded by party lines and will both speak their minds. May not agree with them all the time, but love their tenacity.
5. Sef and Liz Murguia- Sef is chair of Humboldt County Community Development Services Liz is Congressman Mike Thompson's Rep. Mike Thompson :: Contact Us.
6. Harvey Harper and Dr. Davies- Conservatives extreme.
7. Bonnie Neely and Terry Farmer- Would have been #1 a few years ago. Where's Terry?
8. Greg and Carol Ann Conners- Tag team moderate liberals.
9. Pam and Bob Service- Passionate democrats.
10. Shane Brinton and Monica- Monica will probably take issue with me. They are a young couple that influence many. Shane as a political activist and Monica as a high profile radio personality. Where they meet politically will be defined in the future.
‘Our Heroes Need a Place to Heal’ - "As a Noncommissioned Officer I have personally lost five of my soldiers to suicide," says Jeremy Voris. He needs your support to help Humboldt Veterans.
1 hour ago