Monday, February 05, 2007

Where are the local hard workers?

We are still short of workers at Evergreen Pulp. I keep hearing of people being interviewed, but they do not seem to be showing up on the work floor. I just finished shoveling chips and sawdust at $40 an hour because we are short handed. (I worked a 16 hour shift.) You would think that local people would be knocking down the doors for a Union job that pays around $17 to start with benefits.

Is it just me, or do we seem to have a lack of a motivated younger workforce locally? I see new hires that just do not seem to care. And I am always shocked to see so many call ins. The last time I called in sick here at the Pulp Mill was in 1990. My recent Operating partner has worked at the Pulp Mill for nearly 30 years, and I can not remember him ever calling in. I have always thought of work as a commitment that should have a high priority. Is anyone out there seeing the same trend in their workplace?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

And yet we hear the constant cry for living-wage jobs.

Anonymous said...

"Is it just me, or do we seem to have a lack of a motivated younger workforce locally?"

You got it, Samoa Softball....And everyone has a college degree but don't want to start on the ground floor.

Anonymous said...

Nah Richard, folks are just waiting for all those "great" jobs to be created that are being touted by the would be big box developers and supporters.

Anonymous said...

In Humboldt we don't have an unemployment problem, what we have is an unemployability problem.

Anonymous said...

How many people that apply fail the drug test?

samoasoftball said...

10:28pm Good question. I wonder what percentage of people would not apply just because of the drug test.

Anonymous said...

Employers for shit jobs around here seem to want excessivly qualified people. Here's a hint employers...you don't need a friggin degree to wash dishes or flip a switch. The highly qualified people leave town and work for more money than YOU would ever be willing to pay.

Anonymous said...

Richard has a point. As does mous anony. The current generation XY or Z, or whatever you want to call them, don't want to start at the bottom and work up. It's the instant gratification age. They want top wages, they don't want to be bothered woth coming to work on time, and they don't want anyone to tell them what to do (supervision). And their favorite phrase is ...... it's not fair ! And it does seem that Humboldt has more than it's fair share of these types. Starting out at 17 bucks an hour is not that bad. I guess the drug test is a real problem. Too many self medicated people, with the assistance of the likes of Dr. Miller.

Anonymous said...

Richard:

I know someone who wants to work at the pulp mill. Can you help me out with some information? You can email me at: thepoetbandit@gmail.com.

Thanks!!!

Andy Bird

Anonymous said...

Richard,
Some employee's in Humboldt like to pigeon hole certian types of people too. I tried for years to get on at the pulp mill. I didnt have pulp experience but I had many years of saw mill experience in just about every job in the mill, I never missed days and always worked OT. But some reason after many resumes and applications I could not land a interview there nor a decent paying job in Humboldt County. So I now live in Portland, work for OHSU and am a proud union member of AFSCME