Friday, February 23, 2007

Becoming a union is hard in today's time.

Interesting reading in the Eureka Reporter an article by Robyn Blumner concerning union busting. I could not find the link in the ER so I went elsewhere. News: Norma Rae, why's it so hard? Companies can get away with just about anything during an union organizing campaign with little repercussion. As an organizer, it is so frustrating to watch companies spend millions of dollars to stop a unions attempt at helping workers. I tried to organize a paper cup plant in Bakersfield called Dopaco and we estimated that the company spent over 1.5 million dollars to keep 160 workers from going union! They could have paid them $10,000 each, but instead put on a long campaign using tactics I will share at a later date. In the end, the workers lost.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The time for unions is long gone!

Anonymous said...

My whore of an ex-wife was into unions. She liked the prospect of groups of hard working men in large groups. She was really into solidarity if you know what I mean. Be careful what you wish for, Scabs being one!

Anonymous said...

My wife left me for a union man to. apparently theres something about a man with a large picket about to enter a heavy session of binding arbitration.