Saturday, February 10, 2007

First Softball of the year!

I went and played softball in the rain at Redding Big League Dreams this weekend. Visit Redding - Big League Dreams Sports Park

It has not rained for how many weekends? Boy, let me tell you, it rained big time this weekend in Redding. We were scheduled to play the NSA Tournament at 9am and played shorthanded because some of our players did not show up in time. It was wet, wet wet but we were ahead of the team we played from Mt. Shasta late in the game. Our Short Stop Justin Moore broke his hand fielding a short hop and it was just a downer all the way. The final score was 17-11. We were put in the loser bracket and had to face the Misfits from Lake County. We beat them 19-1 in 4 innings and moved on to play a team from Oroville. We were leading late in the game but they came back to take the lead. I came up with the bases loaded and 1 out and our team down by one. The other team moved their infield in for a Double Play possibility on this old man. I knew I only needed to hit the ball to the outfield to score the tie run. I accidentally hit a ball over the fence and against the light pole nearly 300 ft away. It caused a huge controversy on whether the pole was in fair play. It was determined that it was in fair play and we were over our Home run limit, so instead of 4 runs, it was an out. My team was shocked that I could hit a ball that far, but we lost the game and I was bummed. Damn me! We drove home without a trophy.

You think we were crazy to be playing? Over 20 teams from all over California and their fans were there to have fun. The weather just did not cooperate. We will try again soon.

7 comments:

Greg said...

Our old Kiwanis pitcher, Roger Craddock, used to pop nitroglycerin pills between pitches. Hid doc had basically told him to go live what was left of his life, and his favorite activities included softball. Roger put some excitement into the game with his nitro. As for ramping one out -- in my dreams, in my dreams.

samoasoftball said...

Greg: That Roger is my kind of guy! The funny thing is, my team had to fill out a roster with all of our date of births. All most all on our team were younger than my son Jacob. Putting my birth date in 57' gave them a good laugh. They made joke of me being the Home Run champ from 73'. (I weighed less than 100 lbs. then and was a junior in High School.) But I love playing. I hit a ball in the right field corner and slid into third base for a triple. I can still hit and run.

Hey Greg! Time for senior league maybe?

samoasoftball said...

I mean left field corner. Opps.

Greg said...

Maybe we can make it Dems against the Republicans. That would motivate me past the pain. What do you think? Should we challenge Chris and Dennis and the gang? Surely there must be more Democrat jocks out there than Republicans.

samoasoftball said...

Greg, what a great idea! Senior Democrats vs. Republicans. I know the Reps would have a strong showing from the right side in Rex Bohn, Mike Harvey, Mike Jones, Chris Crawford, Robin Arkley, Bruce Rupp and such. Us from the left would have no mercy on them. Too bad Tim Mckay isn't around, he would have liked that. Is there takers out there? Grudge game at Arcata Complex (Giving us lefties home field) Registered Republicans vs. Registered Democrats over 50? Maybe a May date. Or how about a July 4th exibition between Crab's games?

Greg said...

It all sounds good, but we need to sand-bag...sorry...register...I mean, recruit some players so we know we can win. Some of those guys scare the hell out of me. Anyway, we're Dems, shouldn't we shoot for a co-ed contest?

samoasoftball said...

Co-ed would be cool also. I know many good ball playing Dems also.