Monday, July 24, 2006

Supervisor or bust!

Just sent in my final finance report form 460 to the FPPC. I ran for the 4th district Humboldt County Supervisor position earlier this year. A 20 year incumbent Republican was running against a 12 year former Mayor Republican of Eureka. I am a pro growth working class union Democrat, so I figured I had a chance as a wild card. I came up a few hundred votes short of being in the run off. Oh well. I met many great people along the way whom had concerns of where our local economy was heading. I had a chance to stump on a soap box over many issues so it was overall a positive experience. Our campaign committee helped in collecting $13,079.48 without accepting contributions from any corporate donors. (Shane Brinton raised thousands with creative fund raising events.) I wanted to have the position with a clean slate and to not be owing favors. So I walk away with a clear conscience and many new friends. Not too shabby. My opponents will be reporting soon. I am guessing they spent over $150,000 between them. No telling what they will be raising and spending for the general election. They will have to abide by a new ordinance in the form of Measure T (which I was a supporter of) , so I am sure we will witness some very interesting ways the two camps will try to circumvent the law. I will be keeping a close watch!

7 comments:

Eric V. Kirk said...

Any follow-up on a debate with you as moderator?

samoasoftball said...

I still would like to host a debate. Un named people think it is selfish/self serving of me to request this. Nancy was willing, Bonnie was not. I thought I could give a lively non-partisan forum straight from the wrking class. Why not me? I had quite a bit of investment in this campaign and felt I had heard the pulse of the District. I appreciate you trying to push the envelope earlier. Who knows, maybe it can stll happen.

Eric V. Kirk said...

Bonnie Neely is being ill-advised. She would benefit more from such a debate than Fleming.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it Salzman who called and said "no debate"

samoasoftball said...

Salzman has never called me. Bonnie called me and took me for coffee to explain her position. She wanted to know what I expected to gain from this debate, and she said she was willing to answer any of my concerns in person. I told her I would still like to hold a debate. She never said forget it so I hold out hope. I did talk to Richard Salzman at Lost Coast about the debate and he thought it was not a good idea. Actually I think he said it was inappropriate.

Anonymous said...

Richard Salzman thought it was not a good idea. that it was "inappropriate?"
That's 'cause Salzman doesn't control it.
Does he control Bonnie?

samoasoftball said...

You will have to ask Richard Salzman, if he rules Bonnie. Yes he controls most local political liberal thought processes. If he wanted me to be the 4th District Supervisor, I would be. That is the beauty of it. If one person has that much power over other peoples votes my hat is off to them. Richard Salzman will tell you with a straight face even now, if he wanted me to be the 4th District Supervisor, I would have had over 40% in the primary vote. I would have been the front runner. I was just not their (Local Solutions)agenda. Why not Richard? Too Democrat? Too Labor? Too Liberal? Ironic. They just had no control because they did not know me or try to know me.