A New Eureka Democratic Club called the “Eureka Progressive Democratic Club” will be meeting Thursday, January 27th at 7pm at the Humboldt County Democratic Headquarters, 129 5th St. in Eureka.
I find it kind of strange that there is a need for a “progressive” branch locally. Why? Let me outline a few reasons. First, let us compare the “Progressive Democrats of America (PDA)” platform with the “Humboldt County Democratic Central Committee (HCDCC).”
1. The PDA would like to stop War Occupations. The HCDCC platform on this issue is:
I. Democracy and ParticipationWe believe that...B. The United States must work cooperatively with all other nations of the world, treat all people with human dignity, and use force only as an absolute last resort.
So they are in agreement.
2. The PDA believes in Healthcare for All with Economic and Social Justice. The HCDCC platform on these issues are:
II. Social Justice
Everyone in our democracy is entitled to equal protection under the law regardless of race, gender, ethnic identification, age, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, and/or socioeconomic status.
A. Everyone has a right to live in a community, state and country that enables all to exercise their rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
B. Everyone has a right to access to affordable health care.
C. Every woman is entitled to the right to make her own reproductive health care decisions.
D. Every person has the right to make her or his own health care decisions.
E. Everyone has an inherent constitutional right to protection from invasion of privacy, by government or corporations.
Again, in alignment with each other.
3. The PDA is concerned about global warming and the environment. The HCDCC platform on this issue is:
III. Environmental Protection
We believe that it is the duty of our democracy to...
• Protect and sustainably use the natural resources of our community, state, country, and world.
• Guarantee safe and healthy food, water and air.
• Enact legislation and policies that promote sustainable forms of energy and the conservation of fossil fuels.
• Protect, preserve and restore the Nation’s ecosystems.
• Prevent resource exploitation that violates public trust.
• Reduce, reuse and recycle.
Once again the PDA and HCDCC are joined.
As far as economics, I am sure the PDA would be good with the HCDCC on the economy.
We believe that it is the duty of our democracy to ensure that...
• Jobs provide a living wage.
• Legislation and policies encourage the creation of jobs that contribute to a sustainable economy and environment.
• All local, state, and federal governments and agencies of government are fiscally responsible.
• Legislation and policies promote the availability of affordable, safe housing for all.
• The deficit of the federal government is not passed on to the next generation.
• The deficit of the federal government is decreased without shrinking programs that benefit the poor, young, old or disabled.
• Fair taxation for all where all members of society pay their fair share toward the common good.
• Workers’ pensions and social security are protected and strengthened.
• All levels of government work diligently to see that no child, senior citizen or disabled person lives in poverty.
So why the need of a “progressive” chapter of the HCDCC? It is all is about the elephant in the room. The Marina Center. There. I said it. If you are for any kind of development on the Balloon tract/track you are considered an outcast to the far left liberals on the HCDCC. And now those who disagree with their “fellow democrats” want to isolate themselves further with creation of this separate Political Action Committee branch of the HCDCC. Even though both types of Democrats agree with all of the HCDCC platforms! Just sad we have to be so divided as a community of Democrats. Next meeting of the HCDCC is this Wednesday at 7pm across from Denny’s in Eureka. All Democrats are welcome. Even you with the Marina Center sweaters. We are the party of tolerance, are we not?
Touchable Memories - Helping Hands and Winning Hearts **Award-Winning VIDEO** Skippy Massey Humboldt Sentinel If you were blind, how would you “see” a photo? This is ...
9 minutes ago