Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Damn! My brother Roy Dies!

My brother Roy Edwards Marks passed away today at 60 years of age. My sister called me to let me know his roommate had called and said the police were at Roy’s house. I went over and Officer William Dennison was guarding the area. Bill was my next door neighbor a few years ago and told me I shouldn't see my brother in this state. Roy had went to the bathroom in the middle of the night and died on the toilet and fell forward onto the floor. Roy had been doing Kidney Dialysis for awhile and had grown tired of the procedures and refused treatment in sound mind last week. The doctor said he would make it between 48 and 72 hours. Roy made it until today. (Roy was poisoned by Agent Orange in Viet Nam and on Army disability.)

Deputy Coroner Charles Van Buskirk was awesome and way beyond the call in dealing with a horrible uncomfortable situation.

My sister Mary was way agitated on Monday about Roy’s condition and told me she had more than normal concern. Roy had in the past been refusing treatment and so I didn’t see this as any more than past calls for need. (Cry wolf?) So I am suffering from much guilt. (Just being honest here.)

So let me tell you a little bit about my Sergeant brother “Big” who was short on stature and huge in heart. To say Roy was an anomaly does not do him justice.

Roy received his Holy Communion on May 5th of 1957 and was an Alter Boy at the Chapel of our Lady at the Presidio of San Francisco. (We were raised Catholic.)

Roy was in the Army and a 1st Air Calvary Division soldier. Roy survived 3 terms of service in Nam and received a Bronze Medal, Air Medal and Army Commendation Medal for 25 missions over hostile territory. He was a war hero.

Education and employment wise Roy had graduated Eureka High, CR and attended HSU. He was a Bank Executive for Crocker Bank in Eureka, Concord and also Arcata, where he approved many business loans for many Arcata merchants. He also worked for Power Systems Engineering in Houston Texas.

Roy raced motorcycles at Redwood Acres and was a back yard mechanic. He rebuilt cars and had custom made Harley's since the 70's.

Roy was preceded in death by his parents, Major James Marks, mother Mabel Marks and brother James. He is survived by his son Jamie, brothers Michael and Richard, sisters Juanita, Kathleen, Mary and Michelle.

I love you Roy.


Rambo said...

My prayers and condolances go out to you at this time my friend. I hope everyone goes easy on you by way of posts for this thread. If you need anything at all just ask.

Mychal E

Anonymous said...

Condolances to you and your family

Jim Romick

Greg said...

Our best to you, Richard. RIP Roy.

Carol said...

Our deepest condolences to you and your family, Richard.

Hans said...

I'm very sorry for your loss Richard.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Richard.

Mike Buettner said...

Sorry for your loss Richard. My thoughts are with you.

Rose said...

So very, very sorry, Richard.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss Richard.I knew Roy briefly many years ago.He was always a pleasure to talk with in the brief time i knew him.


Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that. Condolences to you and yours.

Anonymous said...


J Warren said...


There really are no words that work.

Try to remember the good times and accept my best for you and your family at this tough moment.


J Warren

Anonymous said...

Richard,I often disagree with you on issue but I want you to know how sorry I am for your loss. Family is everything. Roy was a good man. My prayers for you and your family always. We'll jump your ass later on politics.

Dave Berman said...

Sorry to hear this very sad news, Richard. RIP, Roy.

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear of your loss and your pain Richard. Let go of the guilt, this was in God's hands not yours.

David O.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss. I first heard of his death from a friend who works in the County Vets office. He mentioned that family members were hoping to have his ashes dropped from a helicopter over Fort Lewis Washington. I know Roy struggled during his last years with his many ailments. May he be in a better place.

samoasoftball said...

7:17pm-My nephew Jamie is kicking around some ideas. Jamie was in the Special Forces at Fort Lewis and he and his dad had good memories of their times there.
Roy will have a memorial service on Monday at Pierce Mortuary at 2pm.

This whole week has been surreal.

Anonymous said...

Richard, It saddens me to hear that Roy is gone. He could truly give life excitement to all that new him.My prayers will be with your family.Just remember that now all of his pain is gone and he has found his peace at last.Hold on to all of the memories he left with us My love to you all Debbie Marks