Thursday, October 24, 2013
Humboldt Bay the only "High Health Certified" Bay in California!
Other little tid bits of Aquaculture information for Humboldt Bay from last Monday's Harbor Economic Development Committee meeting:
1. Currently bay oyster businesses bring in about 9.4 million dollars to Humboldt County. Should greatly exceed 10 million in the next few years.
2. Within the next few years there will be over 110 oyster related workers on Humboldt Bay.
3. The Humboldt Bay Harbor District is finalizing a project that will create "One Stop Shopping" permitting processes for oyster farms to streamline "Creation of Jobs!"
4. The Humboldt Bay Harbor Pilot Aquaponics project is close to successfully growing commercial produce such as lettuce, basil and dill for local grocery stores! Using eatable fin fish sturgeon and trout to create the production link.
5. Upcoming tours of the projects on the bay will give tourists one more reason to stay and enjoy Humboldt County!
HSU President Richmond pointed out that 60% of all food for human consumption is produced from the ocean. To maximize Humboldt Bay's ability is forward thinking for our region.