Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) is huge subject for carmakers of all sizes. New federal requirements set to take effect for the 2016 model year require a fleet average of 35.5 mpg. As the deadline nears, which American car company can do as well as they did 30 Years ago? Here is the best gas mileage vehicles made by US companies in 1981 and earlier that topped the 2016 mandate.
1. Chevy Luv pickup 53 MPG Highway 40 City
2. Dodge Omni 50 MPG Highway 30 City
3. Plymouth Horizon 50 MPG Highway 30 City
4. Ford Escort 44 MPG Highway 28 City
5. Dodge Colt 41 MPG Highway 31 City
And there were many imports that were in compliance with the 2016 Mandate.
Even 20 years ago we had an ample American supply of cars that fit the 2016 mandate.
1. Chevy Sprint 50 MPG Highway 45 City
2. Pontiac Firefly 50 MPG Highway 45 City
3. Ford Fesitva 42 MPG Highway 35 City
4. Ford Escort 41 MPG Highway 31 City
5. Pontiac Lemans 40 MPG Highway 31 City
So why all the whinning and crying by US car producers? They don't have the technology to improve on what they have already proven they can do? In 1982 there were 18 makes of cars that got 50 MPG on the Highway or better!
Will anything occur at the next court hearing for Leo Sears lawsuit against Greg Dale? - A court hearing is scheduled this Monday at 2 p.m. in Courtroom 8 for the civil lawsuit filed by Leo Sears against Greg Dale and the Humboldt Harbor Distri...
1 hour ago