Thursday, April 04, 2024

Believe it or not, there were about 50 eating places that were union in Humboldt County in 1976!

 I was going through some of my old newspapers and ran across the Redwood Empire Labor Journal for November 11, 1976 and found this plead to Patronize these eating establishments. I was working at Bazar at the time and was a retail clerk and belonged to the union! I was part of the International Wood Workers in the late 70's and then Part of the Association of Western Pulp and Paper Workers Local 49 from 1980 until the Pulp Mill closed. Shocking there is now under 10% union participation even though over 71% of workers polled approve of unions!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I moved here in 1975 and I was a member of the waiters and waitresses Union my first job here was at Volpes in Eureka Union job. I forgot how to spell the name of the restaurant it was Italian had great food now it's a stripper place up on Humboldt Hill. So what do you think happened to cause all those places to stop being Union?

Samoasofbtall said...

Volpi's was the place on the hill with a great view and food. Wish I knew the answer on what happened to the union shops.