Humboldt County Democratic Central Committee (HCDCC) Hall of Shame!
Just pondering the HCDCC non endorsement of Estelle Fennell last week. 4 years ago Estelle was endorsed and given the HCDCC blessing. What has she done the last 4 years to offend local Democrats? Nothing. Last month the HCDCC gave Mark Lovelace a well-deserved unanimous endorsement. Cheryl Seidner was not present and was given an endorsement without so much as one question asked to her directly. Then she was a no show for the next meeting. The HCDCC gave her their blessing without even knowing her platform! (Cheryl should have been given this endorsement on the fact that she is the only Democrat in the 1st District willing to run.) I just think it was bad practice to judge Estelle so harshly based on the messed up General Plan and her involvement with HumCPR.
Past Democrats who have been denied the HCDCC endorsement :
1. Jill Duffy: Won 5th District Supervisor seat.
2. Virginia Bass: Won 4th District Supervisor seat.
3. Richard Marks for 4th District Supervisor: Sitting Harbor Commissioner.
4. Estelle Fennell for 2nd District Supervisor: TBD
5. Pat Higgins for 5th District Supervisor: Sitting Harbor Commissioner.
6. Worth Dikeman, Paul Hagen, Kathleen Bryson and Allison Jackson for District Attorney: Really started the bad precedent of endorsing one Democrat over another.
7. Mari Wilson: won County Assessor seat.
8. Mary Beth Wolford: Former Eureka City Councilperson.
9. Jeff Leonard: 2 term Eureka City Councilperson.
10. Marian Brady: Won Eureka City Council race.
11. Mark Wheetley: Won Arcata City Council race.
12. Roy Curless: Won Harbor District race. (Note: Kind of funny really. Roy was the Chair of the HCDCC in the 60’s!)
13. Dan Hauser: 14 year Assemblyman for the 1st District! Lifelong Liberal!
14. Charles Ollivier: Lost Harbor District race.
15. Dan Collen: Sitting Northern Humboldt Union High School District Trusteee.
16. Mike Pigg: Sitting Northern Humboldt Union High School District Trusteee.
The above Democrats have over 400 years’ combined experience as Democrats! Not good enough for this HCDCC!
Now here is the list of Democrats found worthy of being endorsed by the HCDCC and lost!
1. Bonnie Neely: Only a Democrat for a short time, but embraced as champion for the progressives. A Republican for many years. The only race she ever lost was as a Democrat.
2. Patrick Cleary: First foray into politics. Was a great candidate and came up just short.
3. Estelle Fennell: She had the problem of people on the HCDCC running her opponents campaign!
4. Pat Higgins: Did not give Pat the resources to unseat Jill Geist.
5. Peter LeValley: Lost mayor race twice. Neither time was he given the resources to run viable campaigns. True progressive. Made bad alliances.
6. Nan Abrams: Where was the help from the HCDCC?
7. Ron Kuhnel: Ran for Eureka City Council 2 times. Great Candidate who lacked resources from HCDCC. Knee injury may have cost him this last race. (Limited his walking which he was doing really well.)
8. Charlene Cutler-Ploss: Lost to Jeff Leonard for Eureka City Council.
9. Larry Glass: He was a huge front runner that lost to new comer. Terrible campaign.
10. George Clark: Bonnie Neely was campaign chair.
11. Jon Brooks: Another time and place, he might have been Assessor.
Please, no haters. Just observations from the political peanut gallery! I find it kind of funny that my readership triples everytime the subject is the HCDCC. People are curious how this organization works. You have to agree there is some heavy disconnects. Really it is about partisan politics splitting hairs. All of the above have the same basic core social values held by all Democrats. Just saying.